Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gluten - Free Blueberry Popovers

This past Sunday, while watching the Seahawks defeat the 49-ers, I almost had a conniption. I'm a new football fan, you see. And after attending the Seahawks opening game against the 49-ers this Fall, I became a real fan. I actually cared about the games they played and was rooting for them. I'm a great fan, too. Even louder and more enthusiastic than my husband when watching the games. Sometimes I can't even watch them because it's too much. Why do men do that to themselves week after week? Anyway, during the 4th quarter I decided I could take no more and needed a break. The kitchen was my refuge of choice. So of course, I decided to bake. I had been eyeing the Popover recipe on the back of the Gluten-Free King Arthur Flour box for a while and thought this was the perfect time to try it out. I decided to tweak the recipe a bit to make it dairy-free and added some blueberries and extra sweetness. The turn out was delicious. This was my first venture into Popover land so I was pleased they puffed up and hollowed out just perfectly. There is no sugar in the batter so how sweet you want them depends on how much syrup or agave and powdered sugar you prefer in the end. You don't have to make them dairy free, btw. Also, I have no clue how they turn out with other flours or milks. But I have feeling just fine. :)

Gluten-Free Blueberry Popovers
*adapted from http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-popovers-recipe


Ingredients: 

1 cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups coconut milk, slightly warm
4 large eggs
1 egg white
3 tablespoons butter, melted (I used dairy/soy free Earth Balance)
1/2 cup blueberries
*maple syrup (or sweetener of choice) and powdered sugar to taste, if you like.
 
Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 12-cup popover pan or standard muffin pan.
2) Whisk together the eggs, butter, and milk in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour with the xanthan gum and salt, then gradually sift and whisk into the liquid ingredients until you have a smooth batter. If, despite your best efforts, there are more than a few tiny lumps, strain them out of your batter with a sieve. Stir in blueberries.
4) Pour the batter into the prepared pan, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
5) Bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the oven heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the popovers are deep brown.
6) Serve warm with maple syrup and powdered sugar on top, if you like.

Enjoy!

X, A!

No comments:

Post a Comment