Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Blueberry Bread


Image from BeWellBuzz

I have had to make some tricky changes to my diet lately. Many of those changes involve healthier whole foods. One of those foods, which I have grown to LOVE, are blueberries! They can replace nearly any fruit in any dish, in my opinion. With my new love of blueberries, I decided to make Blueberry Bread. Unfortunately, many of the recipes called for orange juice, lemon juice, or other acidic ingredients that I am unable to enjoy at the moment. Therefore, I found a simple recipe with great reviews and adapted it to be something I could tolerate. I was surprised when it came out SO much more delicious than I expected! Jeremiah especially loved it! And he can be hard to please and always gives his honest opinion.We ate the whole loaf in a day and a half and I made another loaf two days later. It's like one giant Blueberry Muffin!

Blueberry Bread:
Recipe Adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients
•2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
•3/4 cup sugar
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon baking soda
•1 egg
•2/3 cup heavy cream
•2 tablespoons butter, melted
•1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions
•In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk the egg, orange juice and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Toss blueberries with remaining flour; fold into batter.

•Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).

If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment