Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Photography and Me

If you are reading my blog, then you know very well that I have taken up a new hobby over the last year. Some of you have even been part of this new hobby. Whether it has been to help me test lighting, scout out locations, critique my editing abilities, or act as my models I am very grateful! Photography has not come easy to me. I don't have an eye that easily "sees" a good shot; nor do I understand the full capabilities of my camera, as of yet. As for Photoshop editing, that's a whole 'nother challenge I am desperately finding time to master. However, I think that's why I like this new hobby. Deep down, I like a challenge and believe that if I set my mind to it I can do anything!

The barriers to getting where I want to be in my photography include a grueling work schedule that conflicts with daylight, finding time to learn my camera and editing, and staying motivated. But I keep at it for some reason... maybe it's because I have countless dollars invested into a camera, new lens, tripod, editing software, etc., or maybe I feel this is finally my creative outlet. I have never been creative and cannot think up new or unique ideas on my own. I wish I could, but I have to be honest with myself. That's partially why I wanted a hobby. I wanted to practice being creative and put my skills to the test. I wanted to learn to be something I am not... creative. I am still in this process and will let you know how it goes.

If any of you know photography and have seen my work, you may have noticed just how bad I am and wonder why in the world I would compete in this field? EVERYONE in the TC thinks they are a photographer and can take good pictures and I am just another wannabe. To that I say, don't ask me to take your pictures, don't look at my work, and mind your own business. I don't intend to compete nor do I delude myself into thinking I am great. If you have the time to judge my work in those ways, maybe YOU need a hobby.


My husband told me, not long ago, that when I mentioned I wanted to get into photography he didn't have the heart to tell me just how many amateur photographers there are and what I may be up against. Funny thing is, I wasn't going into this to compete. I thought this would be the least creative hobby I could take up and would be the easiest thing for me to do. HA! Well, at least it's proving to be a challenge and I am seeing progress in my work.

While I may never be a sought after photographer or make real money at it, I like practicing and am open to wherever photography takes me.  So, maybe I will never compare to some of the photographers out there, but I realize everyone has to have their own reasons for doing what they do. I have mine. Hope you have yours :)

*Need some photos done? Let me know! I am no longer offering free photo sessions, due to the large volume of time it takes for me complete photo sessions and edit images, but I am very cheap and love to practice :)

3 comments:

  1. Photography is so much fun (and can be sooo time consuming!). Definitely a great creative outlet. It's great to watch your work progress over time. Let's get together sometime and practice new photo techniques! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! YOU are great photographer and I would love to learn from you sometime. We'll have to get together one of these days when I have some free time :) Work is killing me lately... yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ang,
    Keep your chin up girl - don't listen to what others say, to look at how they portray themselves and pretty much EVERYONE is am amateur, if you don't work at it you'll never get better. YOU should be the only one satisfied with your photos.
    I think the market on photography is pretty, well...full right now, but I still love it, and am not going to let others take my joy away from it! love you

    ReplyDelete