Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

My sister found this recipe. She is so much better than I am at finding recipes that actually work. Maybe it's because I find normal recipes and think I can magically transform them into dairy-free gluten-free treats. But this doesn't always work. Either way, I'm happy she has a knack for doing this because it gives me new recipes to make! These cookies are better than normal Sugar Cookies, in my opinion, because they aren't as sickeningly sweet - therefore, you can eat more. I say, that's a good thing. Jeremiah even thinks so. And he can eat gluten. The cookie recipe comes from the Yummy Allergen Free BlogSpot and the frosting recipe is from the Lofthouse Sugar Cookie recipe (I'll post both links below). I recommend rolling the cookies pretty thick and baking for less time if you want to keep them soft. Also, I substituted an egg and coconut oil for the applesauce and they turned out just fine. Even a little softer. One other thing to note, my sister and I both used King Arthur Gluten Free All Purpose Flour and it worked excellent. I didn't have, nor did I want to go buy, all of the other flours and King Arthur makes an excellent blend. The recipe I'm sharing contains all of the above mentioned adaptations. But whatever way you choose to make them, these cookies are delightful and I'm beyond happy with how they turned out!




Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
Recipe adapted from: http://yummyallergenfree.blogspot.com/2008/02/gluten-free-sugar-cokies.html
 
Ingredients:
3/4 cups dairy free margarine (softened)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 egg 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups King Arthur Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Baking powder
Powdered sugar for rolling

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Cream together margarine and sugar.
3) Add egg (or applesauce), coconut oil, and vanilla and mix well.
4) In another bowl sift or whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
5) Cover work area and rolling pin with powdered sugar. Roll dough 1/4" - 1/2″ thick, or thinner if you prefer a crispy cookie. Cut into shapes and transfer to a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.

6) Bake for 10 to 15 minutes depending on cookie size and desired softness/crispness. Let cool on sheet for a few minutes then remove to cooling rack.

 
 
Frosting
 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil (do not melt)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract 
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon almond milk (you may not need this at all)
Food coloring (optional)
Sprinkles (optional)


Directions:
In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil until creamy (with an electric mixer or a stand mixer). Cream together the coconut oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Slowly beat in powdered sugar and the pinch of salt. Once smooth and creamy, add in almond milk (if needed... you don't want your frosting to be runny). Beat at medium-high speed for a minute or two until light and fluffy. Add food coloring, if desired, and beat until combined.

Now frost those cookies. :) I actually prefer mine plain, as I'm not a huge fan of frosting. But will admit this frosting was better than typical frostings made with shortening or butter.

Enjoy!

XX, A!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment